Sunday, October 3, 2010

A friend of mine recently purchased an iPad (another friend owns a type writer pictured left). There has been ongoing discussion of the iPad's merits, particularly how it stacks up against a laptop (the friend in question now has a desktop, iPhone, iPad, and no laptop or typewriter). So far he's never wished he had a laptop. I'd like to focus on one big plus of the iPad's design: you can hold it easily in one hand. There are at least two benefits to this feature.

1) Standing up. I find it's terribly awkward to try to use my laptop when I'm standing up. Performing a delicate, dangerous balancing act with my left arm, I gingerly interact with my right (but all the time I wish I could set it down). Not so with the iPad. Just as I might carry a notebook around with me, I can walk around with the iPad.

2) Interaction with others. All sorts of technology allow use to interact with people far from us (which is amazing). But the iPad, much more than a laptop, allows technology to be something you can more easily share with those immediately around you. My friend can hand me the document he's working on. He can say, "hey check out this cool app". No one passes a laptop around a group of friends. But you could pass around your iPad.


No comments:

Post a Comment